We all need a little inspiration in our lives. And let’s face it; multilingual people and language learners need a little boost sometimes.
So, if you want some motivation, or you feel like sharing your love of languages on Instagram, we’ve prepared and designed a list of the ultimate quotes about languages for you to enjoy!
P.S. If you use any image, don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @europelanguagejobs !
1. Because each language has its own soul:
To have another language is to possess a second soul – Charlemagne
2. Because you don’t know how little you know about your native tongue, until you learn about another language:
Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own – Johann Wolfgang von Goeth
3. Because how else would you truly map out a culture? :
Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going – Rita Mae Brown
4. Because languages are a matter of the heart as well as the mind:
If you speak to someone in a language he understands, it goes to his head. If you talk to someone in his own language, you can reach his heart – Nelson Mandela
5. Because languages make you feel limitless:
The limits of my language are the limits of my world – Ludwig Wittgenstein
6. Because your understanding of your native language is increased by learning a second language:
You can never understand one language until you understand at least two. ‒ Geoffrey Willans
7. Because more open doors = more opportunities:
One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way. – Frank Smith
8. Because language is a gift you can take everywhere:
Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag. – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
9. Because you don’t have to be perfect at a language to love it:
It is astonishing how much enjoyment one can get out of a language that one understands imperfectly. ― Basil Gildersleeve
10. Because the importance of translation should never be underestimated:
Without translation, we would be living in the provinces bordering on silence – George Steiner
11. Because every bit of your language knowledge is valuable:
We should learn languages because language is the only thing worth knowing even poorly. ― Kató Lomb
12. Because beauty can be found in the words we speak:
A special kind of beauty exists which is born in language, of language, and for language. – Gaston Bachelard
13. Because speaking languages changes the world:
Speak a new language so that the world will be a new world – Rumi, Persian poet
Did you find these quotes motivational? What quotes have helped you feel inspired? Let us know in the comments!
Would you like to use your love of languages in a professional setting? Take a look at the opportunities with Europe Language Jobs and feel inspired every day!