As much as we try to resist it, summer will soon be drawing to a close, and with September comes a new wave of opportunities for first job-seekers.
For many, this is the time to properly introduce themselves to the job market; fresh graduates and young professionals will soon be finishing summer with high hopes for kick starting their professional careers.
But hold your horses.
Because before long, you’ll encounter these frustrating obstacles:
1. Your CV is a dark void
You know you’re amazing and talented. But without actual work experience on your CV, there’s no way of showing this. Grrrr.
2. Employers want you to perform magic by having more experience than working years
FYI employers: You will never find a new graduate intern at age 21 with 5 years of experience. Just no.
3. All the positions with your level of experience are unpaid
Do I look like a volunteer?
4. You apply for everything and anything
It’s hard to know where to begin. So I’ll begin… everywhere?
5. Finally finding a suitable job offer and having to sign up to ANOTHER website in order to apply
Hopefully this will be the one..?
6. Trying to appear professional on all social networks
All those years of university antics don’t seem so funny anymore. *Cue extensive privacy settings check.*
7. You lose count of how many applications you’ve sent
Is 20 a day too much?
8. …and to whom.
So many companies. They all merge into one.
9. Feelings of desperation consume you
Hire me..? Please…?!
10. Before long you’re considering giving up and taking a sabbatical
11. Until you realise that those bills aren’t going to pay themselves
Welcome to the real world.
12. And then someone suddenly calls you for an interview
13. You’re so surprised that you’re completely unprepared
14. And then you have to find interview-worthy clothes
15. …which turn out to be way too formal
*cough* *cough* “Spot the newbie”
16. Then the questions asked in the interview leave you stuttering
HINT: avoid these common mistakes!
17. When you think you nailed it but you never hear from them EVER AGAIN
But, in the end, it will all be worth it to land you a position that will pave the way towards your dreams!
Were these struggles too familiar for you?
Find more tips and tricks to help you on your professional path here!