‘Tis the season to be jolly… so that means lots of carols and laughter. Most have a favourite Christmas carol that gets them in a festive mood every year, some couldn’t be less interested in the singing tradition. We’ll guess your thoughts on carols by how well you do on this Christmas carol quiz, be warned – it’s not for the faint hearted.
How well did you do in the Christmas carol quiz? Let us know in the comments below, and include your favourite carol!
We’ve made a playlist for our readers to keep them in the Christmas mood.
Here are 5 fast facts about Christmas carols:
- Jingle Bells was originally a song to celebrate the American holiday of Thanksgiving – the song never actually mentions Christmas.
- It was also the first song performed in space – and it was played on a harmonica.
- Christmas carols were originally songs sung by pagans at the Winter Solstice (shortest day of the year) celebrations.
- The second piece of music ever broadcast on the radio was a violin solo of ‘O Holy Night’ in 1906.
- O Come O Come Emmanuel is over 1000 years old, as it is traced back to Gregorian monks. It gained popularity in the 18th century once it was translated to English.
Can’t get enough of Christmas quizzes? Have a look at some of our others here.