Whether you are a language nerd, a polyglot, or a resident of Europe, the languages of this continent are endlessly interesting.
Did you know that there are as many as 225 languages native to Europe?
Or that growing multiculturalism in the UK means that 300 languages are spoken in its capital alone?
Take a look at our mini fact file of interesting facts below!
- At least 56% of Europe’s population is proficient in more than one language
- More than 25% of the world’s scientific literature is published in Russian
- A language composed solely of whistles is used in the Canary Islands (“Silbo Gomero”)
- European languages are largely split into three families: Slavic, Romance, and Germanic
And if you are a bilingual or a multilingual person in Europe, the best part is that you are:
- better communicators
- more employable
- great at problem solving
- better listeners
- cognitively flexible
- culturally aware
- more tolerant of other points of view and ways of life
- awesome. Fact.
What other interesting facts about European Languages have we not included? Let us know your favourites in the comments!
Do you speak more than one language? Join our community of polyglots, travellers and professionals at Europe Language Jobs and find a job that uses your language skills!