It’s been a busy week at work, sitting at your desk, attending meetings for 2 hours, sitting on that one uncomfortable chair whilst writing emails, thinking about pampering yourself at home. I understand we all need that day where we just self care, self analyse, self adjust and just relax.
As most of you who are reading this are currently working from home, due to the coronavirus outbreak. It’s completely normal for you to feel stress and demotivation, but don’t worry we have some tips on how to make the most of this situation and to practice a 5-star self-care routine. Let’s be clear, self-care is an important part of our day to day lives and no matter what is going on in the world, it should never be neglected.
There are many mental, physical and emotional advantages of having a self-care routine, let’s find out why…
Manage your stress
Stress can be healthy in small doses, especially when we are working towards targets, deadlines and trying to keep things organised.
But on the other hand, constant stress can lead to anxiety, which can have a really negative effect on your mental and physical health.
It’s easy to prevent this by incorporating smart self-care habits into your day-to-day life. Simple things like healthy eating, practicing meditation and resting can have extremely positive effects on your overall mood, energy, and confidence levels, cutting down any toxic effects of stress.
Physical Health Self Care
Self-care is not just all about your mental health, it’s about your physical health too. Day-to-day things such as exercising, keeping on top of your personal hygiene, healthy eating and of course, getting a sufficient amount of sleep.
If you love to have relaxing evenings by yourself; painting your nails, applying a mud mask or even a homemade pedicure, this can also lead to physical health improvements through activating your relaxation response.
So next time you are debating whether to have a pamper session or not – you will know that this will bring you positive effects, both inside and out!
Know your worth boo
Maintaining a healthy relationship with yourself is a priority, it helps to boost positive energy, feelings, confidence and self-esteem. It’s important to know your worth and to remind yourself that you and your needs are important.
Once you’ve decided it’s time to start caring and loving yourself (mind and body) be sure to put some time aside for the following self-care practices, with NO interruptions:
- Take a lonnnnggggg bath or shower – get out all the bubbles, oils, scented soaps and soak until you’re wrinkled!
- Deep clean your pores – with a clay mask or any other mask will do! With a face mask, you can draw impurities out of your skin and all that stress you’ve been gathering up, out of your system.
- Find some zen with yoga – yoga is not only an ideal way to give your muscles some TLC but it can improve cardiovascular health and help greaten your sense of self-esteem. As a yoga lover, yoga is one of the best ways to take care of myself both physically and mentally.
- I shouldn’t say this but… shop shop shop till you drop! Shopping is seen to be relaxing whether it’s online or going to the nearest shopping center. It’s a way to escape and relax from your everyday life. But shop in moderation, because you still need money to pay rent!
Healthy work balance
Are you a workaholic? Are you addicted to your work? Overworking with the accompanying stress and exhaustion can make you become less motivated, organised and emotionally depleted. This could potentially lead to many different health problems from depression to insomnia to anxiety. Examples of self-care habits that could help to prevent this from happening, could be taking regular breaks to call a friend or taking a stroll to the local park. It’s important to set professional boundaries to avoid job burnout and to stay healthy as well as motivated.
Start living, stop existing
Why waste your life when we all have such amazing choices. We all have a choice to have a more meaningful existence as life is such a precious gift. Yes, we all have a lot of responsibilities such as mowing the lawn, paying for the bills, cooking for the family. But the most important responsibility is taking care of yourself. Little things like sipping a nice glass of wine while looking at the beautiful sunset or clear skies, enjoying a bubble bath or reading a book.
Here is a free guide of self care activities you can fit in your schedule whilst at home:
Get your FREE self care printable CheckList_Self_Care_
- Read a new book
- Watch a new movie or one of your favourite movies
- Make a date with yourself – spend some alone time doing something that nourishes you e.g. go for a walk, start a new hobby, tidy your house/ bedroom, relax and indulge in soothing music from your favourite Spotify playlist.
- Take a quick nap
- Paint or write something that lets out your creative energy
- Start a journal
Outer Self – Care:
- Spend time talking to friends or family
- Give your body comfort. Pick something from your wardrobe that you feel good in
- Have a long shower or bath, sit in your dressing gown, and relax
- Go for a morning or evening run or walk around the neighborhood
- Do a mini de-clutter in your house or bedroom. This may help with your organisational skills or to relax
What are you waiting for? Start filling up the bathtub and pick a favourite activity for your deserved self care time!