This article goes to all nomads and travelers out there, who have experienced loneliness at least once throughout their journey. Guess what? I have found a solution for you. Have you ever considered getting a new hairy friend? Yes, you read it correctly, I said “hairy.” Learn the 5 benefits of adopting a pet as an expat and be ready to say goodbye to loneliness while you’re abroad.
Keep a close eye to our 5 benefits of adopting a pet as an expat bellow:
1. You’ll Learn Soft Skills:
Adopting a pet as an expat will definitely teach you some soft skills you will be thankful to learn and have for your professional and personal life. Some soft skills pets can help you develop are: listening, negotiating, persuading, reading body language, being patient, loving, caring, being able to adapt, and many more. Let’s take a closer look at those soft skills:
- Listening & reading body language: Pets will have their own way of talking and communicating.You will need to figure out what they are trying to tell you! That’s the fun part of it.
- Negotiating & persuading: There will be countless times you will be calling your pets to come to you and sometimes you will have to offer something to them in return, such as a treat. Make sure to get your negotiation skills straight!
- Patience/loving/caring: Just like all living beings, pets require love, patience, and care. You will learn day by day how this mutual relationship can teach you these basic, but very important soft skills.
- Adapting: Pets have their own personality, and will not say sorry for it. You’ll have to learn their ways and live with them, which most of the time won’t and shouldn’t bother you at all.
2. You’ll Be Fit & Healthy:
Adopting a pet as an expat will keep you on track physically and mentally. You’ll take your pet on walks, sometimes climbing, running, and even swimming. You’ll find yourself being more outside your house than inside. However, many pet owners have been practicing yoga at home with them. In addition, studies show that having a pet can help you cope with stress, protect your heart, and keep your brain sharp.
Becoming physically healthy isn’t the only benefit adopting a pet will provide you with, but becoming mentally healthy as well. Pets have such an incredible way of making their owners feel special and boost their confidence!
3. You’ll Make New Human Friends!:
Have you ever seen a cute puppy on a sidewalk and immediately approached it with a “awwwww”? Well… This is most likely what will happen as soon as you adopt one. You would be surprised how many friendships start this way, and just like that you will get to meet new people in your foreign destination.
4. You’ll Save a Pet’s Life:
Adopting a pet isn’t only beneficial to you, but to them as well! You’ll be saving them from a lonely and depriment life in a shelter or even in the streets. You’ll be giving them an opportunity of having a beautiful life abroad, just like the one you’re experiencing at the moment.
5. You’ll Have a Travelling Buddy For Life!
Yes! You really are going to have a friend for life! Pets have the power to connect to us on a different level. You’ll think you were the only one who chose them, but at the end you will notice that, they chose you too. Now, you will have a forever traveling buddy to keep you company throughout your journey.
Those are only 5 of the infinite benefits of adopting a pet as an expat. We hope you enjoyed it and consider the idea of adopting a new hairy friend for your next destination!